Click thumbnail for a larger image.
Archer, John Lee
Date: 1838 -
Description: Built by Convict labour the 13 metre tower was constructed from local stone.The original light consisted of 15 lamps with parabolic reflectors, consuming a pint of sperm oil per hour. The machinery made one revolution every five minutes; the alteration from light to shade ocurred every 50 seconds. A complete modernisation took place between 1900-02, when the present lantern room and spiral staircase were installed. The light was first in use in 1838, and was the oldest continually-manned lighthouse in Australia, until automated & de-manned in 1993. Inscription above entrance door A.D. 1838.
Format: Monuments and historical sites
Material: stone; cement rendering
Cape Bruny Lighthouse
People/Orgs: Baudinet, William C.; Brooks, Thomas; Matheson, Henry; Handley, George; Lewis, William; Scott, John; King, Arthur; Kirkwood, William; McGuire, John; Hickman, Arthur; Bridgen, Richard; McCarthy,Thomas; Parish, James; Mansfield, Harold; Mitchell, Andrew; Abbey, Tom C.; Dickinson, Albert; Johnstone, Max; Lander, Herbert; Horne, Anthony; Gothe, George; Nichols, William; Armstrong, Frank; Levings, Allen; Smith, Denis; Parsey, Anthony; Cook, John
Places: Cape Bruny - Bruny Island Tasmania
Institution: Bruny Island Historical Society
Object number: BIH_00028
The content of this record is provided by Bruny Island Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.