LINC Tasmania

Home >

The Marsh Paddock Inn

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

Frost, Max

Description: This brick structure is situated on the Meander Valley Road in the village of Exton (formerly Marsh Paddocks) in Tasmania. The three storey building was built for Mr. William Walter Motton in c.1850. Mr. Motton was the former owner of a stage coach business which operated between Westbury and Launceston in the early 1840's. The stage coach was named "The Morning Star". He was known locally as "Billy the Peacock" because of his fancy dressing style and as a young man had been a very successful jockey - second to none according to his own report. Mr. W.W.Motton died at Brandy's Creek (Beaconsfield) on the 26th September 1878, aged 58. He was buried in the Anglican And General Cemetery in Westbury. A former "Point Puer" juvenile convict named Mr. George Axtell held the licence for this public house from 1860 until 1864. The hotel was delicenced in 1920. The top storey of the building was removed in the late 1960's and the dwelling was extensively renovated. The former "Marsh Paddock Inn" has been used as a private residence for a number of years. The photograph was taken in August 1989.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

The Marsh Paddock Inn

Subjects: hotels & taverns

Places: Exton, Tasmania

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0037

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.