LINC Tasmania

Home >

Lieutenant Dexter's Cottage

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

Frost, Max

Description: This structure is situated at No. 8 Mary Anne Street in Westbury, Tasmania. The brick cottage was built for Lieutenant H. Dexter of the 63rd Regiment Of Foot who had been placed in command of the Westbury Garrison in 1828. The Westbury Garrison was established on the eastern side of the Quamby Brook in the late 1820's to protect the free settlers in the area and as a base for the soldiers to guard the convict work gangs under their supervision. Dexter Street in Westbury is named after this military officer. A two cell short term gaol was situated to the east of the cottage and was used for persons who committed minor misdemeanors. The small building was also used for prisoners who worked on "Day Release" projects and were incarcerated there at night. The unfortunate convicts were called 'Toe Rags". Mary Anne Street was known locally as "Toe Rag Lane". The "Lock-up" was demolished in the early days of the settlement. The convict-built dwelling has undergone some structural improvements and extensions in recent decades and is now privately owned. The photograph was taken from the north-eastern direction in October 2004.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

Lieutenant Dexter's Cottage

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0014

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.