Click thumbnail for a larger image.
|Description: Exton House is situated near the village of Exton in Tasmania. The Reverend Samuel Martin and his wife arrived in Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) on the ship Sir Thomas Monro on the 30th. of January 1833. Later they purchased a large farm in the Westbury district, west of the township. As a compliment to his wife (formerly Miss Sarah Exton), the Reverend Martin named the estate Exton House. In the early 1850's the original single storey farm house which was surrounded by stone granaries, stables and a coach house was replaced with a two storey structure. A brick paved court yard still remains today from the original dwelling. It was about this time that the nearby settlement known as Marsh Paddocks was renamed Exton. Exton House was sold to the Honourable William Hart in 1886. Elaborate cast iron curtain verandahs and balconies were added to the home in this era. The estate remained in the hands of the Hart Family for many years under the management of Mr. Arthur Hart, and in 1905 he became the owner on the death of his father. In 1924 Exton House was purchased by Mr. George Bennett, a noted grazier from the Burnie district. Mr. C.H.Bennet inherited his father's property in 1931 and Exton House became famous as one of Australia's leading Short Horn Cattle studs. This photograph was taken in the 1960's.|
Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Subjects: Exton House
People/Orgs: Reverend Samuel Martin
Institution: Westbury Historical Society
Object number: WEHS_0088
The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.