LINC Tasmania

Home >

Tarabar. Southport

Member of Hay Family

Description: Home of Robert Hay and family. Possibly the oldest house south of Dover still in existence, built c. 1870 for Joe Graves , son of the famous composer of the song " Do ye ken John Peel". "Tarabar" is an Aboriginal word meaning "house of the devils". Graves was the first timber miller in the district, a boat builder, and owned a fleet of international and local boats. The house is surrounded by double stockade style fencing. The photograph shows Settlement Creek in it's earlier days when it was possible to navigate smaller vesels for some distances up the stream. There is a bridge across the creek. Graves later sold out to Robert Hay. When Mrs.Hay was told the meaning of "Tarabar" she insisted on changing the name to "Mona" after the Scottish home region of the Hays, In later years the property became the Summer retreat of the Christian Brothers. Today it is has been renovated as a Bed And Breakfast establishment and is called " Jetty House".

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs
Material: paper

Tarabar. Southport

Subjects: houses

People/Orgs: Graves, JoeHays, Robert

Places: Southport, Tasmania

Institution: Southport Community Centre

Object number: SCC_00031

The content of this record is provided by Southport Community Centre. For any questions about the content please contact them.