LINC Tasmania

Home >

Archer's Folly

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

O'Grady, Kathleen

Date: 1986 -

Description: This building is situated in Seymour Street near the intersection of the Bishopsbourne Road and the Meander Valley Road in Carrick, Tasmania. The two-storey structure was built by local businessman, Mr. John Kinder Archer shortly after his marriage to Eliza Palmer in 1847. The dwelling was never completed or used for its original purpose, and was known as Archer's Folly. In 1867, Mr. Thomas W. Monds purchased The Folly and used it as a grain store. In recent years Mr. Mirek Marik, a talented copper-work artist, bought the building and restored it in part, using it as a show-case for his work. Unfortunately Archer's Folly was destroyed by fire in April 1978. This photograph was taken from the north-western direction in 1986.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

Archer's Folly

Subjects: part-built houses

People/Orgs: Archer, John KinderMonds, Thomas W.Mirak, Mirek

Places: Bishopsborne Road, Carrick, Tasmania

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0029

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.