Click thumbnail for a larger image.
Date: 1995 -
Description: This building is situated at No. 9 Quamby Street in Westbury, Tasmania. The timber structure was built in 1831 on a 10 acre land grant allotment for Mr. James Butterworth Whitehead. The former army sergeant had been serving under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Shadforth at the Westbury Garrison before he took his discharge in March 1831. The six room dwelling which features brick nogging in the wall cavities was named the Westbury Inn and provided accommodation for the travelling public. Horse stables were built at the rear of the public house. A small section of land adjacent to the Whitehead property near Quamby Brook was also given to him and was used by cattle drovers to enclose their stock at night when the herds were being moved through the district in that era. Mr. Whitehead also acquired a block of land on the corner of King and William Streets in the village. A two storey brick hotel was constructed on this site in 1833. The publicans licence for the original Westbury Inn was transferred to this building in that year. The former inn situated in Quamby Street has been used as a private residence for many decades. The Viney family resided at this address for a number of years last century. In the 1970's an additional wing was added on to the western side of the building. Today the home is known as Lady Bank. This photograph was taken in December 1994 from the southern direction.
Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Subjects: hotels & taverns
People/Orgs: Whitehead, James
Places: 9 Quamby Street, Westbury, Tasmania
Institution: Westbury Historical Society
Object number: WEHS_0025
The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.