![]() Click thumbnail for a larger image. | Description: Captain John Laughton arrived in VDL in the Prince Regent in 1824. He became a ship owner and member of the Derwent Whaling Club. He was co-owner of the brig Apollo when it was built by David Hoy at Bruny Island in 1826. However, the vessel was lost at Maria Island on her second voyage. Captain Laughton survived the shipwreck and in April 1827 purchased the wreck of the Hope which had foundered on Hope Beach, South Arm in April 1827. He drowned when the boat in which he was inspecting the wreck, capsized. Format: pictorial and artistic works Object: glass slides Titles: Captain John Laughton Subjects: people People/Orgs: Laughton,W. Capt. Institution: Maritime Museum of Tasmania Object number: MMT_P_GSL233 Disclaimer The content of this record is provided by Maritime Museum of Tasmania. For any questions about the content please contact them. |