Click thumbnail for a larger image.
Description: This structure is situated on the Meander Valley Road in Hagley, Tasmania. The country inn was built in c.1850 for Mr Frederick Rudge who lived in the nearby village of Carrick. Mr. James East was an earlier proprietor of this public house. He was also a partner in the firm "Spearman and East" who operated a stage coach service from Deloraine to Launceston from the year 1855 until 1870. Later Mr. East purchased The Hagley Inn and managed the business until his death at the age of 56 on the 19 December 1865. James East's widow Mary held the licence at the hotel for a short period after her late husband's death. In the late Victorian Era, members of the Roe family operated the establishment. The former Hagley Inn has undergone changes of name and many alterations in recent decades. The building was closed for business recently.The image was captured from the north-western direction in August 1989.
Format: Pictorial and artistic works
The Hagley Inn
Institution: Westbury Historical Society
Object number: WEHS_0145
The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.