Click thumbnail for a larger image.
Description: This building was situated on the south-western corner of Oaks Road and the link road to the village of Whitemore in Tasmania. The one and a half storey timber structure was built in the 1860's on a part of a 280 acre farm leased to Mr. John Mann and owned by Mr. Thomas Reibey, the Second. Mr. Mann was the licensed victualler and operated the establishment from 1864 until 1893. He was a horse breeder of some repute and also enjoyed pigeon racing. A correspondent for The Mercury Newspaper in 1874 referred to the Inn as a very snug and comfortable country inn kept by Mr. John Mann. After Mr. Mann's death in 1893, the building remained vacant for a time until Mr. Silas Badcock took up the farm lease and later purchased the land. The former inn was then used as a private dwelling. The structure was unoccupied from 1964 and was used as a hay barn for a number of years before it was demolished in the mid-1990's. The image was captured in 1986 from the northern direction.
Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Royal Oak Hotel
Subjects: hotels & taverns
People/Orgs: Mann, John; Reibey, Thomas
Places: Whitemore Tasmania
Institution: Westbury Historical Society
Object number: WEHS_0020
The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.