LINC Tasmania

Home >

Westbury State School

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

      Description: This bluestone and sandstone building was situated in Dexter Street, Westbury, Tasmania. The school was opened on the 1st. of April 1887. A farewell ceremony and sports day were held to mark the closing of the old structure on the 12th. December 1964.The building was demolished in 1968 with some of the bluestone used for the wall around the Holy Trinity Catholic Church at Westbury and some going to the Church of Apostles in Launceston, Tasmania. The stone balls from the school roof are now on the gateposts at the nearby Westfield property. This photograph was taken from the south-western direction in the early 1930s.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works

Westbury State School

Subjects: schools & colleges

People/Orgs: Westbury State School

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0038

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.