LINC Tasmania

Home >

The ruins of the Montagu Cheese factory at Montagu, Tasmania

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

      Date: 1992 -

Description: The ruins of the Montagu Cheese factory in 1992 (about 25 years after it's closure). The factory opened in 1903 and was called the Circular Head Co-operative Factory. After several changes of ownership and management the factory was flourishing in the late 1920s - early 1930s. Production increased each year and in 1942 the factory made 85 tons of cheese. Over the years some of the cheese was exported to England and also shown at the Melbourne Show. The Duck River Butter Factory bought the factory in 1948 and continued to operate it until 1966 when its licence was surrended due to the cost of upgrading the building and plant.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

The ruins of the Montagu Cheese factory at Montagu, Tasmania

Subjects: cheese factoriesruins

People/Orgs: Circular Head Co-Operative FactoryDuck River Co-op Butter and Bacon Factory Co Ltd

Places: Montagu, Tasmania

Institution: Circular Head Heritage Centre

Object number: CHH_00393

The content of this record is provided by Circular Head Heritage Centre. For any questions about the content please contact them.