Click thumbnail for a larger image.
|Description: The ruins of the Convict Barracks at Highfield. The barracks were built in 1834 and occupied from 1836. About forty convicts were assigned to Circular Head establishment in 1932 and by 1833 there were seventy-three. The old convict barracks at Stanley on the north west Coast of Tasmania were used by the Van Diemens Land Co as quarters for employed men in the early days.|
Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Stanley, Tasmania, the old convict barracks at Highfield which was built in 1834
Subjects: ruins; barracks; stone buildings; pioneer settlements; convicts; buildings, structures & establishments
People/Orgs: Highfield; Van Diemen's Land Company
Places: Stanley, Tasmania
Institution: Circular Head Heritage Centre
Object number: CHH_00237
The content of this record is provided by Circular Head Heritage Centre. For any questions about the content please contact them.