Click thumbnail for a larger image.
|Description: This small wooden cottage was built in c. 1870 and was situated on the corner of Waterloo and William Streets in Westbury, Tasmania. The dwelling was originally constructed for the Launceston and Western Railway Company and was used as accommodation for the Railway Gate Keepers's family. Depicted in the photograph at the rear are Mrs. Nellie and Sylvia Dolting. Standing in the foreground on the left are Mr. Ron Torrens (a railway cottage painter) with Mona and Hazel Dolting and Mr. Harold Burgess. The building was moved to No. 25 Adelaide Street in Westbury several decades ago. The image was captured from the northern direction in 1937.|
Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Railway Gatekeeper's Cottage
Subjects: railways; prefabricated buildings; railway workers
People/Orgs: Dolting, Nellie; Dolting, Sylvia; Dolting, Mona; Dolting, Hazel; Burgess, Harold; Torrens, Ron
Places: Railway Gatekeepers Cottage, Westbury, Tasmania
Institution: Westbury Historical Society
Object number: WEHS_0034
The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.