LINC Tasmania

Home >

Court House

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

Frost, Max

Date: 2001 -

Description: This building is situated at No. 7 Lonsdale Promenade in Westbury, Tasmania. The structure was originally built in c.1832 and was used as a Court House and Gaol. Convict labour was used for the construction. A watchtower was erected on the roof overlooking a high-walled exercise yard adjacent to the small brick gaol cells. The building was used as Police Office, gaol, and trooper's residence after the formation of the Westbury Municipal Council in 1863. In the late 1940's, the Westbury Branch of the Returned Services League Club purchased the building to be used as their Headquarters and Club Rooms. Some structural alterations and improvements were made at this time. The six original goal cells still remain intact today. The image was taken in 2001 from the north-western direction.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

Court House

Subjects: Court House

People/Orgs: R. S. L. Club of Westbury

Places: Lonsdale Promenade, Village Green, Westbury, Tasmania

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0031

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.