LINC Tasmania

Home >

Father Hogan's Grave

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

Frost, Max

Description: This memorial was erected for Father (later Archdeacon) James Hogan who arrived in Westbury in 1850 and was the first resident Catholic Priest. The Venerable Archdeacon was the Pastor of the Westbury Mission for nearly fifty years died at age of 75 from Emphysema on the 7th. of September 1899. He was interred in the church of Holy Trinity in Westbury Tasmania outside the altar rails on the espistle side on the 10th of September 1899. The pine coffin was enclosed in an iron chest expressly made by Knight and Sons of Launceston. A special train from Launceston brought over three hundred mourners of all classes and creeds to the funeral service. The photograph was taken in October 1998.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

Father Hogan's Grave

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0091

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.