LINC Tasmania

Home >

James Earle's Cottage

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

Frost, Max

Description: This brick cottage was built in 1837 and is situated at No.19 Adelaide Street in Westbury, Tasmania. James Earle was born in Waterford, Ireland in 1796 and arrived in Westbury as a soldier in about 1830. At this time, he retired from the Army and became the first Licensee of the recently completed Westbury Inn which was first opened for business on the 21st December 1833. James Earle left Van Diemen's Land for Portland in Victoria in December 1840. His wife Ellen and family followed him there in February 1841. The photograph was taken from the western direction in May, 1995.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

James Earle's Cottage

People/Orgs: Earles. James

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0095

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.