Click thumbnail for a larger image.
Date: 1874 -
Description: The Gunther chain is a survey measuring instrument which has a total length of 22 yards. This is divided into 100 links, of a length of 7.92 inches in length. Originally invented by Edward Gunter in (1581-1626). This Gunter chain was used by the Campbell-Smith family of Land Surveyors, through generations, in the St Helens area, from 1874-1987.
Institution: St Helens History Room
Object number: STH_000021
The content of this record is provided by St Helens History Room. For any questions about the content please contact them.