LINC Tasmania

Home >

White House

Click thumbnail for a larger image.

Frost, Max

Description: This building was built in the early 1840's for Mr. Thomas White to be used as a general store. It is situated on the corner of King and Adelaide Streets in Westbury, Tasmania. In 1855, Mr. White issued a series of copper shop tokens for customer use. Thomas White was declared insolvent in C.1857 after an expected uninsured cargo of goods from England was shipwrecked. In 1860 the property was purchased by Charles and Hannah Harris.The White House has been used as a corner store, a place for Methodist Church services, a flour-mill (with its own steam engine), a bakery, a bus depot and finally a private dwelling. The residence was purchased by the Clemons family in 1969 and then slowly and carefully restored. This National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) building has been opened to the general public since January 1971. The image was captured from the north-eastern direction in April 1995.

Format: Pictorial and artistic works
Object: photographs

White House

Institution: Westbury Historical Society

Object number: WEHS_0097

The content of this record is provided by Westbury Historical Society. For any questions about the content please contact them.